Duhdee and I are considering a major life change. In one of my long winded posts below I discussed the changes that we’re making in our lives and mentioned that one of our long term goals (for when Monkey is grown) is to run a farm/B&B. We’re now re-thinking this. We’re trying to decide if we should wait, if there is any real benefit in waiting, to Monkey or to us.
If we move, we’ll obviously be moving to a rural area. We’re considering Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire with Maine being our first preference but it will ultimately be determined by what we can find. A rural area is not going to offer the benefits that we enjoy here in Cambridge. The school system here is not perfect, by a long shot, but it has a LOT of resources that small school systems can only dream of. But how important is that ultimately? We also have easy access to the Fragile X clinic at Children’s Hospital and now that Dr. Mike is opening his practice, we’d have easy access to him as well but we can always drive here if needed, we’d be moving away but not to the moon!
I’m not sure that moving would require us to homeschool. I’m willing to try to have him in school but if the school can’t provide him with the tools he needs to succeed that we’d have homeschooling as an additional option. I am actually very open to homeschooling because it is my (very strong) opinion that Monkey learns best when he’s most comfortable and he is most comfortable at home with us but I’m not aware of anyone who does homeschool their special needs kid.
If we were to make this change he would have two parents at home full time. He would be gaining real life skills in running a business, growing food and living in the real world. He would have space to run and play. He wouldn’t in all likelihood have easy access to therapists though I might be surprised at what I find.
So how much should this factor in our decision? I’m looking for all opinions. Feel free to tell me I’m an absolutely selfish LOON to even consider taking him to a farm 🙂