What do we know two days into the year?
- Monkey is going to really like his teacher, he already likes her well enough but given time he is going to love her. I can already see it in how he reacts to her. Yay!
- Monkey’s teacher “gets” him already and she is working so hard and actually listening to us when we talk about ways to improve his transitions.
- Monkey enjoys school, he’s having fun during the day, he’s working hard.
- The morning transition, despite the preparation is a potential disaster. Transitions are just hard in general and this is a really big one. He is not walking into class easily. It’s taking a lot of cajoling and deep pressure.
What do we need need to work really hard on again?
- The morning transition. I realized this AM that there is just too much talking and there are too many people involved.
Yesterday, Duhdee asked the teacher when during that process she wanted to be involved because yesterday morning she jumped in too soon. We’ve got that established. Now Duhdee and I need to work out between us what we’re going to say and do at each step. I want both of us to be able to do this but it will mean we both have to be following the same script (an actual, literal script I will write.)
I think the two biggest keys are getting there early (we were on time today and the check-in area was crowded) and M&Ms. Fortunately, both of those things are within our control, lol.
Oh, and guess who gets to start asking about an integrated first grade classroom already? The only way to have one for next fall is to get it in the budget. All budget items need to be in front of the administration by Christmas break because they begin their budget process in January. Awesome.