we start Monkey on a stimulant to try to address the “attentional difficulties” he’s having. We’ll see how he does over the weekend and if it’s not working, and we’ll know immediately if it’s not, then we will stop. If it does help then his school nurse is on board to do the afternoon dose for him.
I don’t want this. I don’t want to medicate my sweet boy…my baby. I also don’t want to hold him back in any way. I’ll do it because the Dr. thinks he needs it. His teacher has been doing ADHD checklists for him periodically for months. The Dr. had us try other things first which, I know, made me mad because I wanted insta-results and not to have to pay out so much out of pocket. It’s the right decision. It might not be the right medication but, clearly, he needs some help with his attention.
Why does this feel like I’m failing at being his Umma?