Two days in.

We all know you can predict absolutely nothing about the school year after only two days.  This is just a mere update.  I don’t consider any of this indicative of how things will progress, OK?  I’m still fully prepared for year two of unabating school hell*.


Day 1.  Monkey refused to walk into the school.  One of the special education teachers, but not one of *his* teachers, violated the no morning greeting policy before we even made it to the door of the school.  Duhdee tried valiantly to get Monkey to put his feet on the ground but basically carried him by his arms into the classroom.  No number of M&Ms would convince him to do anything more than stand just long enough for a reward before he slithered back to the ground.  FUN!

So we entered the classroom all sorts of strung out.  Convinced Monkey to play in the sink for a bit (his transitionary activity from last year) and then to play at the water table.  We snuck off with our tails between our legs and Monkey went on to have the most AMAZING day EVER based on his teacher’s description.  Monkey was very happy, huggy and giggly at pick up so that may even be true.

Day 2.  Monkey took a few voluntary steps toward his classroom today.  Of course none of them were sequential.  Duhdee still largely had to carry him into the classroom.  There were no chipper greetings this morning.  Thank god. 

Monkey played with bubbles at the sink.  If neither Duhdee nor I were physically touching him he would stop what he was doing and grab for us.  There would be no sneaking away today.  He decided he was done with the bubbles and we set off to look for another activity.  He was not letting go of me yet.  We found playdough.  He sat and he used a toy rolling pin and pizza cutter to play with the dough.  Totally appropriate play.  He was at a table with 3 other children and an adult (we still have no idea who she is, we’re awful parents.)  He let me go.  Once I was satisfied that he was engaged I kissed his head and we waved good-bye.  He didn’t cry or try to catch us so I guess he was ready.  *Phew*  And he was set up for another AMAZING day per the teacher report.  He played with paint (red and blue, it’s on his shirt,) he sat for “focused activities” for longer periods than he did last year, he enjoyed circle time because he recognized the games.  Focused activities and circle time were two big trouble spots last year that were used as examples of him needing more supervision.

So that’s it.  Two days in and he’s done OK.

*I either need to consider some happy pills more seriously or I’m just trying to hold my optimistic side in check, you decide.


5 thoughts on “Two days in.

  • September 9, 2008 at 10:55 pm

    The first few days are always the hardest. My poor William (Renegade Doodle) was terrified of getting on the bus. I thought about taking him to school and tappering my time spent there off, but in the end we decided it was best to just put him on the bus. He has settled in nicely and was finally comfortable enough to misbehave so I guess that stands for something. Good Luck. Keep us posted.

  • September 10, 2008 at 9:55 am

    We’re expecting at least a few weeks of this. He will settle down eventually if we survive until then, lol.

    By bringing him in to the school ourselves it allows the school to claim that he has no trouble with morning transitions because he’s fine by the time we leave. Which is just, well, stupid! Part of me would love to put Monkey on the bus and just let them deal with it, it would certainly suddenly be deemed worthy of their attention.

    *But* the morning and evening dropoffs are when we get most of our communication from the teachers and Monkey is non-verbal so we’d be totally in the dark if we took that route.

  • September 10, 2008 at 3:36 pm

    oh man…happy pills were a god send for me. I have no clue how I dealt with stuff without them. It is so much easier letting the little stuff roll of my back and helping me put the big stuff in perspective so I can tackle it.

  • September 14, 2008 at 6:50 am

    Can you explain more about the no morning greeting policy that was violated. Is this common, or just something in your IEP, why is it? The reason I ask is becasue Holly is starting to cry when she is greeted, first i thought it was strangers, but it has been her Therapists the last few weeks, but in general she is social, and smiles when she is smiled at, so I’m not sure whats going on, but she started daycare 2 weeks ago, and I think its mommy sepration anxiety.

    It sounds like her did have a great first two days, even though it was difficult for him to get started, I hope it gets better.

  • September 14, 2008 at 8:01 am

    The no morning greeting isn’t in his IEP, it’s not that formal.

    Monkey has a very hard time during morning transitions and if someone talks to him he will escalate quickly. Most of the teachers use that “I’m so excited to see you!” tone of voice and get down on his level to make eye contact which just sends his anxiety through the roof.

    We asked last year that no one greet him until after he had entered his classroom and had time to settle in. As soon as he is comfortable he will start approaching people and that’s their cue for greeting him and starting the day. It takes maybe 2 minutes but makes a huge difference.

    In everyday life we tell people the same thing, don’t get down on his level or initiate conversation…let him come to you.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *