After the party.

Once Monkey nearly pushed us to the door so he could get back to watching Winnie-The-Pooh with his Auntie, Duhdee and I drove in town to check into the local inn.  The inn was built in the late 1700’s and everyone knows that it is haunted.  I was looking forward to our night there.  I asked the gentleman that checked us in if we had the haunted room but, alas, we were down the hall.  Maybe next time, I thought!

When we walked into the room Duhdee knew immediately that I was going to love it.  The bathroom had a lovely, deep, clawfoot tub just made for soaking in.  Unfortunately, I hadn’t thought to bring my Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with me.  This is not a comment on the cleanliness of the tub, I need to wash our tub at home every time I use it too.  It’s a thing.   What really made me fall in love with the inn, however, was what I saw when we entered the bedroom.  Sitting there, dressed in crisp, white linens was a king-sized bed with no less than 5 pillows, each of a different style/weight.  I could have happily cocooned myself in pillows right then and there and stayed put until check-out the next AM but we had not eaten dinner and so I had to instead jump into the shower and get ready for our night out on the town.

After primping and grooming we set out, on foot, looking for a nice restaurant.  There was a perfectly lovely restaurant in the inn but we wanted the chance to walk and hold hands.  Monkey doesn’t often let us do that.  It began to sprinkle before we’d even crossed the street but we had planned well and used the umbrella.  After a bit of adjustment we figured out how to share it even.  We stopped in to the store across the street for a moment and when we came out the sprinkle had turned into a torrential downpour.  There was a small creek where the parking lot had stood a few minutes before!  We stood in the entryway to the store with a few other people for a few minutes.  Duhdee looked up the weather map (gotta love a smartphone) and we could see that it was a passing shower.  Within 10 minutes it was back to a gentle sprinkle and we once again set out in search of dinner.

The restaurant we found was in a great location on the first floor of an old, converted mill.  It had great views of the river and the falls but it was also very loud and very crowded.  Not exactly what we were looking for.  We decided to walk back to the inn and drive toward the beach.  There were more dining options and I would be able to grab my purse from my parent’s house where I had left it (not that anyone cards me anymore *pout*)  When we stopped at my parents we had my sister bring my purse out so we didn’t upset Monkey.  I don’t think he would have cared but we were being careful.

We drove down to the village of shops and restaurants and quickly settled on an Italian bistro.  It was divine!  Not only was it clearly a restaurant for grownups but it had a lengthy wine list.  Score!  We ordered an appetizer of fried calamari and reveled in the fact that we could have an appetizer.  Normally, we are only able to sit down long enough for an entree, we wanted to spoil ourselves and have multiple courses.  We are so pathetic 🙂

Dinner was just as fantastic as the appetizer and the wine was perfect.  We enjoyed the time to talk about everything and nothing.  We didn’t have to worry about how long the entrees were taking because we had all the time in the world!  I had lobster, cream cheese and scallop ravioli with lobster and mushroom sauce.  I had ordered it largely because I wanted to see how they could possibly get all those ingredients into a ravioli and I was quite amazed when they brought me ONE ravioli that was just a little bit larger than a baseball.  It was sitting on a portobello mushroom cap and it was heavenly.  I ate every single bite even though I was really, really full much sooner than that.  Duhdee ordered spaghetti with clams, mussels, shrimp and scallops in a garlic cherry pepper, white wine-butter sauce.  I have no idea if he finished his meal or not because my eyes were crossed by this point. I then witnessed something I have not witnessed in years!  I watched Duhdee pay for the meal!  Typically, Monkey and I are headed for the car as soon as Monkey finishes chewing.  I was quite excited…such silly pleasures.

After dinner we decided to head back to the inn and have dessert in the bar downstairs.  We would have liked to have been able to walk and enjoy the sights but the rain was falling steadily again.  The bar was quite an experience.  First of all, it was a rainy Saturday night in a tourist town.  There are two ways this can go, either the bar will be packed or it will be deserted.  It was deserted.

There were 3 couples in the entire bar, including us.  There was an older man, in his 60’s I would say, with a very young woman at one end of the bar engaged in a lengthy discussion of his love life, mostly his awful choice in women.  They only broke from this discussion to comment on the “Kill Bill” scene on the television at one point.  They were going to count how many people Uma killed but they lost count at 4.  They were slightly drunk. The other couple was at the opposite end of the bar.  They were in their early-20’s and between the two of them they had approximately 2 bazillion facial piercings.  Really.  They seemed very nice but they were quietly engaged in their own world.

Duhdee and I planted ourselves smack in the middle and began chatting up the bartender who also happened to be the nice gentleman who had checked us in earlier.  We each had a drink and Duhdee ordered a cheesecake, I was still too stuffed to even consider it.  We put the Celtics game on (the bartender had handed us the remote control…it was a really slow night) and the odd couple to our left (the loud, slightly inappropriate old man and his little chippy…not to be confused with the ever so polite pierced and dredlocked couple to the right) departed and as they were wobbling toward the door she called him “Dad.” Even more creepy and inappropriate than we’d thought!  Then the young couple paid their tab and left.  Duhdee asked the bartender if he would, on a slow night, close up or stay open until a certain time.  When he said he’d probably close up this early in the season but he would stay open if it were the height of the tourist season, we took pity on the man and went back to our room so he could get off work an few hours early.

Then we got ready for bed.  I might have even run and jumped into the bed out of sheer joy.  Then we did something ELSE we haven’t done in a while.  We slept ALLLLLL night (except for that short period of time when I woke up with a cough and ended up laying awake freaking myself out about the ghost in the middle of the night.  At this point I was very, very glad we didn’t have the haunted room.  Heh.)

The next morning we lingered in the room until we absolutely had to go check out.  We went to find a place to eat breakfast, we wanted one more meal where we could linger.  Happy Mother’s Day to me!  After finishing breakfast we headed to my parents house.  The “plan” was that we’d talk a bit, pack up the kid and hit the road on the early side.  The best laid plans often get set aside though and that’s just what happened.

Up next, How I Spent Mother’s Day.

7 thoughts on “After the party.

  • May 13, 2009 at 8:50 pm

    Awww. That sounds amazing! I have to wash tubs before I use them, too. BIG issues with tubs.

  • May 14, 2009 at 6:22 am

    I am so enjoying your story, I love the details, I can’t wait to hear part three, your night sounds marvelous and I am envious!

  • May 14, 2009 at 8:34 am

    Thanks for all the details. Grammy and Grampy are so glad you both had a chance to enjoy yourselves and just relax as much as possible. Monkey was in good hands and I am sure his Auntie was a little bit on the tired side after he left. He can surely keep one entertained.

  • May 14, 2009 at 10:03 am

    What a wonderful night! LOL on watching Duhdee pay for dinner! We have the same routine here when we dare to take Quinn out to dinner…I’m usually rushing out the door with him the moment we’re done eating.

  • May 14, 2009 at 12:44 pm

    monkey was very good for me we went for a ride sunday morning and we took ruby and starr with us and monkey tapped his leg like when he calls the dogs over and starr went over and sat on his lap ana monkey had the biggest grin on his face 🙂 it was so cute

  • May 14, 2009 at 4:23 pm

    Thanks guys, it was a fun night. Grammy and Grampa said they would like to watch him more often so we may be doing more of this soon, lol.

    Erika, I have to ask…is the tub thing related to a “feet” thing? I am so squicked out by feet that it has infected tubs, lol.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *